1. Odendaal, J. S. (2000). Animal assisted therapy: Magic or medicine? Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 49(4), 275-280.
2. The Huffington Post, "The Health Benefits Of Having A Dog." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/21/health-benefits-dogs_n_1421573.html.
3. Purina ONE, "The Mutt-i-gree Program: Teaching Kids about Shelter Pets." http://www.purinaone.com/pets/all/shelter/the-mutt-i-gree-program.
4. The New York Times, "HEALTH; Children and Their Pets: Unexpected Psychological Benefits." http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/11/us/health-children-and-their-pets-unexpected-psychological-benefits.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm.
5. Purina, "The Advantages of Owning a Dog." http://www.purina.co.nz/home/all about dogs/your new pet dog/choosing a dog/the advantages of owning a dog.
6. Web MD, "27 Ways Pets Can Improve Your Health." http://pets.webmd.com/ss/slideshow-pets-improve-your-health.
7. "The Evidence Supporting the Use of Animal-Assisted Therapy (AAT)." http://www.animalsasia.org/images/en/download/The-Evidence-Supporting-the-Use-of-AAT-Text.pdf.
8. Karen Allen, Ph.D.; Division of Clinical Pharmacology; Department of Medicine, Millard Fillmore Hospital; 3 Gates Circle, Buffalo, NY 14209; State University of New York at Buffalo. (Presented at the 22nd Annual Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine in Seattle, WA; March 24, 2001)
9. Another Breed of “Service” Animals: STARS Study Findings About Pet Ownership and Recovery from Serious Mental Illness. Wisdom, J.P.; Saedi, G. A.; Green, Carla A. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 2009 Jul; 79(3): 430-436
10. G.L. Jennings, Director, The Alfred & Baker Medical Unit, The Alfred Healthcare Group and The Baker Medical Research Institute. (Paper presented at the 7th International Conference on Human-Animal Interactions, Animals, Health and Quality of Life, September 6-9, 1995, Geneva, Switzerland).
11. "Depression, Heart Attack Link Tracked to Autonomic Nervous System." http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/newsarticle.aspx?articleid=103730.