Behind the Breed: French Bulldog
Seen this bat-eared, smiley-faced breed popping up more and more in your life? Their popularity is on the rise and for good reason — they’re great dogs. Can’t wait to find out more about this affectionate, adorable breed? We got the inside scoop at the 2014 National Dog Show Presented by Purina.
- Prepare to laugh a lot! “They’re very playful. They’re happy dogs, funny and goofy,” said Aurelia Straub, owner of competing French Bulldog “Oliver.” “They entertain you all day long.”
- Want a pet that will sit on your lap all day? Well, that’s what these bulldogs were bred for. Did you know they were originally bred by English lace makers? Fancy!
- Living a leisurely life? A French Bulldog would be a good companion for you. This small-breed dog needs little in the way of exercise, and their coats don’t require much maintenance either.
- Prized for his affectionate, even disposition, the French Bulldog is an active, alert watch dog.
- French Bulldogs are compact, medium-sized dogs that should not weigh more than 28 lbs. They may shiver in the winter, which is a great excuse to buy them some cute sweaters!
Taken by these intelligent, well-behaved sweethearts? Learn more about them here.