Thank you for your interest in the 2017 Sponsorship For Human Animal Bond Studies. Application period open now until May 15, 2017.
Nestlé Purina Petcare Company is committed to enhancing the well-being of cats and dogs. We understand and share the strong passion and respect people have for their companions, and we believe that happy cats and dogs can make people feel joy as well.
Through this sponsorship program, Nestlé Purina aims to encourage high-quality scientific studies that lead to identifying and demonstrating the positive effects cats and dogs can have on people. We seek to promote fundamental knowledge and understanding of the benefits that cats and dogs deliver to us in different environments and situations. Nestlé Purina will also encourage communication of the study findings, so the benefits of the Human Animal Bond can reach people and their cats and dogs worldwide.
The Nestlé Purina Human Animal Bond sponsorship program can provide research sponsorships to applicants affiliated with (but not limited to) Universities, Academia, Foundations, Charities or NGOs. The selected study proposals will be sponsored with the following amounts (Applicants will compete for funding within each Tier):
- Sponsorship funding Tier I up to $15,000 USD
- Sponsorship funding Tier II up to $30,000 USD
Examples of areas of interest for studies include the following (but are not limited to):
- The social impact pets can have in work environments
- The impact that pets have on hospitalized patients and of animal assisted therapy programs.
- The impact of pets on children and their learning.
- The impact of pet ownership on people activity levels and obesity risks.
- The impact of pets on the elderly.
- The impact of pets on human post-traumatic stress disorders, phobias or anxiety
RULES FOR 2017 SPONSORSHIP APPLICATIONS:
- Only one sponsorship per researcher will be evaluated.
- Research must not be double funded.
- Applicants/researchers with other corporate affiliations may pose a conflict of interest with Nestlé Purina’s business. Potential conflicts of interest will be evaluated by Nestlé Purina. Nestlé Purina reserves the right to disqualify an applicant/researcher on the grounds of conflict of interest.
- All research studies will require approval by Nestlé Purina and the local ethical/animal use committee and be fully compliant with local and national animal welfare regulations.
- Nestlé Purina will only fund non-invasive research studies and procedures consistent with routine veterinary care. We do not participate in any invasive research that causes injury, illness or disease or that result in euthanasia of dogs or cats.
- If the application is accepted, Nestlé Purina will be acknowledged as a sponsor in all communications about the project.
- All applications must provide a timeline with specific deliverables.
- All applications must present a detailed budget.
- Payments to the selected applicants/researchers will be divided into pre-determined installments.
- University overhead cost will be limited to $1,000 USD maximum per application.
- Applicants/researchers will provide a report midway through their research describing the project status in relation to the agreed timeline and deliverables.
- Projects must be completed within a maximum of two years after approval.
- A final report, including raw data, must be submitted to Nestlé Purina for approval before publication.
- Nestlé Purina may provide additional funds, on request, to support further dissemination of the research findings to enhance the relationships between people and cats or dogs (e.g. open access publication costs, travel expenses of author/s to conferences, etc.).
- If any intellectual property is generated by the Sponsorship, Nestlé Purina shall have exclusive rights to negotiate a license for Intellectual Property first.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION:
- Applications forms are available at here. Completed applications should be sent to
- Applications should be submitted in English.
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS: (all of these factors will be considered by the evaluation panel and are not in ranked order)
- Potential to improve/demonstrate the wellbeing of people with cats and dogs and their relationship.
- Welfare considerations for all pets involved and the environment where the research will take place.
- Scientific merit of the proposal.
- Deliverables and value for the investment.
- Anticipated outreach and potential for dissemination of the research (scientific journals, presentation at conferences, newsworthiness, etc.)
- Originality of the idea and research hypothesis.
- Applicants are expected to be recently qualified researchers with up to 10 years since award of PhD or start of researcher career.
- Applicants do not have to be based within academic organizations, but they will be expected to show research capacity.
APPLICATION CALENDAR FOR 2017:
The 2017 Nestlé Purina Human Animal Bond Sponsorship program will follow this time schedule:
- Announcements and rules for the sponsorship program will be communicated in March 2017.
- Application deadline for 2017 sponsorship program ends on May 15, 2017 at 12:00 pm Central Standard Time US.
- Applications will be evaluated June through July 2017.
- Contracts for allocated sponsorships will be signed before the end of 2017.
- Fund allocation will begin following individual project requirements once the contracts have been signed.
- Fund allocation will be completed after review of the final project reports.All studies are expected to be completed by the end of 2019.
- All studies are expected to be completed by the end of 2019.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR APPLICANTS:
- All applicants have the responsibility to provide accurate and honest information.
- Applicants will be asked to enter into Sponsorship Agreements that will be provided by Nestlé Purina. A Sponsorship Agreement does not imply that applicants become employees of Nestlé Purina.
- Applicants will be required to provide financial information for tax and payment purposes.
- Applicants are required to find and provide facilities for the work.