No. Although grapes are a great summer fruit people can enjoy on just about any occasion, grapes and dogs don’t mix.
There are plenty of fruits and vegetables dogs can safely enjoy. While some fruits and vegetables make a nutritious or tasty treat for your dog, others can cause serious harm.
Both grapes and raisins are bad for dogs. They can cause severe reactions and may even be fatal. Keep reading to find out why grapes or raisins aren’t good for dogs, learn the signs of toxicity and discover alternative dog treat options
Can Dogs Have Grapes or Raisins in Any Amount?
No. Dogs cannot eat peeled or seedless grapes or raisins—which are dried grapes—in any amount. The exact cause of grape toxicity in dogs after they ingest a grape is not known. Some dogs may suffer more severe reactions than others.
Why are grapes bad for dogs? The reason why grapes have such a toxic effect on dogs remains mostly unknown, only that they have an adverse impact on their health.
Purina Nutritionist Karina Carbo-Johnson, MS says, “If you keep grapes in your household, make sure they are out of reach. Dogs may be tempted to try something within reach or because they have observed your behavior and recognize the fruit as food.”
Symptoms of Grape Toxicity
Unfortunately, new scents are enticing to dogs. If you’re eating grapes or raisins with your dog nearby, they may be hoping you drop one on the floor. If they ingest a grape or raisin (or several), you may notice one or more of the following symptoms:
- Decreased appetite
- Lethargy or weakness
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea within a few hours of ingestion
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Increased thirst and urine production
- Decreased or no urine production
What if Your Dog Eats a Grape or Raisin?
If left untreated, dogs may suffer kidney failure, which can be fatal. If your dog eats a grape or raisin, act fast and call your veterinarian. They may recommend inducing vomiting. Don’t induce vomiting if they’re struggling to breathe or showing signs of shock.
Several other illnesses can cause similar symptoms in dogs. Consult with your veterinarian if you aren’t sure if your dog ate a grape or a raisin, as there may be a different cause. Your veterinarian can provide further direction, so you don’t induce vomiting or administer other treatments unnecessarily.
Safe Treat Options for Your Dog
Although grapes are bad for dogs, you can feed them some fruits and some berries without worry. The best way to treat your dog is to give them dog treats formulated specifically for their nutritional needs.
Remember, treats should comprise no more than 10 percent of their total calories for the day. If your dog ingests something toxic, contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435 as soon as possible.
Your Guide to Informed Pet Nutrition: myPurina
While it’s mostly unknown why grapes and dogs don’t mix, one thing is for certain — you can find the best food for your four-legged friend with the help of myPurina.
myPurina is our free pet care app where you get personalized product recommendations, earn rewards for Purina purchases, and discover expert-backed resources for caring for your pup. The app’s features include:
- Pet Food Finder: Find your pet’s perfect food based on dietary needs, like sensitive skin or stomachs.
- Rewards: Scan or upload your receipts, earn points, and get rewards for your Purina loyalty.
- Train + Play: Find fresh approaches to connect with your pet, from engaging games to enriching activities and training drills.
Uncover the best formula/nutrition for your furry friend by downloading the myPurina app today!