Today, 80 percent of Purina’s packaging in the U.S. is already recyclable. And we’re addressing the remaining 20 percent by performing trials to explore the use of new innovative materials.
We’re committed to making 100 percent of our packaging reusable or recyclable by 2025. Many of our products are already in recyclable packages, including our wet food canned products. These cans are made from aluminum or steel (“tin”).
Aluminum can be recycled endlessly, resulting in a significant decrease in waste. In fact, recycling 75 percent of all aluminum cans would prevent 11.8 million metric tons of CO2 emissions.
Our sustainability vision is to steward resources for future pet-loving generations, and our ambition is to strive for zero environmental impact in our operations.
That means we continually look for renewable energy sources to reduce air pollution. We use cleaner fuels and find new ways to source renewable electricity. Our ambition is to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
Since 2007, we’ve reduced greenhouse gas emitted per ton of production by 19 percent, and an increasing portion of our total electricity today comes from renewable sources such as solar, hydropower, wind and investments in renewable energy.
Around 60 percent of our Dunkirk, New York, factory’s electricity is generated by Niagara Falls, and our two Pennsylvania factories receive more than 70 percent of their electricity from a wind farm. Our goal is to reach 100 percent renewable electricity across all of our factories in the shortest practical time frame.
That’s why we continuously promote responsible water stewardship in and around our factories. This includes implementing projects that conserve water in our operations and committing to safely treat that water before it returns to the environment.
Since 2007, we have improved water efficiency at our factories by more than 20 percent. Our newest factory in Hartwell, GA, was designed with water conservancy in mind.
Our water stewardship extends beyond our factories, though. We’re also partnering with farmers and conservation organizations to implement water stewardship practices on farms in regions where our high-quality ingredients are grown.
Purina has achieved Zero Waste for Disposal across all company manufacturing operations. This means that all 21 of Purina’s manufacturing sites and its St. Louis Headquarters have found ways to derive benefits from materials that would have otherwise been discarded.
All locations now recycle, reuse, recover or compost waste from daily operations. In certain cases, locations also may utilize destinations that convert waste to energy to generate power.
Every ingredient in our pet food serves a purpose. In addition to ensuring it meets the nutritional needs of your pet, we care about where that ingredient is raised—that there’s a healthy supply, it’s sustainable long-term, and that the supplier’s environmental practices align with our standards. Sustainable sourcing practices are at the forefront of development for every Purina product.
We also embrace the power of collaboration. With the sourcing of high-quality ingredients comes the reality that growing crops and raising animals on farms requires energy, water and nutrients.
The best way we can help preserve abundant U.S.-raised crops is to invest with farmers and other partners in projects across the U.S. that preserve soil and promote clean water, biodiversity and other factors that create healthy ingredients and a healthy ecosystem.
We’re proud to partner with sustainable companies like UPS to pave the way for carbon neutral shipping for all Purina for Professionals, veterinary clinic orders and Purina.com online store orders delivered by UPS.
Our partnership with UPS has helped reduce 14,993 metric tons of CO2 emissions over the last 5 years. This is equivalent to more than 19,580 acres of U.S. forests.
That’s why we’ve teamed up with many organizations to employ and promote sustainable agricultural practices across 33.9 million acres. Through these partnerships, we’ve funded technology to promote smart irrigation, and together we’re working to restore flood plains and improve soil health.
Sign up today! From training tips to special offers, get the tools you need to keep your pet happy and healthy.