Are Dogs Good for Kids?
Dogs Can Improve Your Child’s Quality of Life
If you have a dog, you already know how he increases your quality of life. Dogs are incredible family members, and not just because they’re fun. Owning a dog can also be beneficial for children.
Benefits of Owning a Dog
Dog ownership can teach children about responsibility, help them process their feelings and improve their health.
Take a look at the following list of benefits children can receive from having a dog in their life:
- Teaching kids to care for a puppy can make them more cooperative and generous.
- When kids imagine how a dog feels, it helps them learn to empathize with their peers and take their feelings into account.
- Teaching children to confide in their dogs as if they were friends can help children recover from trauma.
- Children who own dogs can have higher self-esteem.
- Children who grow up with a dog are less likely to develop allergies.
- Kids who own dogs may experience fewer sick days.
The presence of a dog in your child’s life can set them up for a happy and healthy childhood.
Use the Purina Dog Breed Selector to discover which dog might be best for your family.