Omega-6 fatty acids are required for reproduction, growth, immune function, and skin and coat health.
Omega-6 fatty acids Are An Important Part of Your Dog’s Diet
Dogs require the Omega-6 fatty acid linoleic acid in their diet, thus making it an essential fatty acid for dogs. Another important Omega-6 fatty acid is arachidonic acid, which dogs can produce in their bodies from precursors.
Benefits of Omega-6 Fatty Acids
- Omega-6 fatty acids are involved in cell membrane structure and cell function.
- They are required for normal reproduction, growth, immune function, and skin and coat health.
- Just like Omega-3 fatty acids, Omega-6 fatty acids are a type of fat and, thus contribute calories to your dog’s diet.
What are some good sources of Omega-6 fatty acids?
As a rule, Omega-6 fatty acids are found in animal and plant sources, such as:
- Vegetable oils such as sunflower, corn, safflower, canola/rapeseed, and soybean oils are particularly rich in Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Chicken and animal fats are also a good source.
At Purina, our nutritionists have incorporated both Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids into our formulas.