When you look at the research, the evidence stacks up that grains are nutritious and effective for your dog.
Watch this video to learn about results-driven nutrition.
Read up on other articles that explain why grains are beneficial for dogs.
"[The Nature study] adds to evidence that dogs should not eat the same food as wolves, says [Robert Wayne, geneticist], who points out that dog food is rich in carbohydrates and low in protein compared with plain meat. 'Every day I get an email from a dog owner who asks, should they feed their dog like a wolf..."
We look for positive results to make sure our formulas benefit real pets' health, digestion, energy-levels and ability to live a happy, healthy life.
When we formulate our products, we don't start by prioritizing ingredients that are popular. Instead, we study the nutrients that pets need, and then look to nature for the best ingredients to deliver on them.
We know that even the best ingredients aren't as effective if they're not blended in concert with other ingredients that make the meal as nutritious and digestible as possible. That's why we study how ingredients work together, and use the best team players in our formulas.
Because of our decades of nutrition research, we've seen evidence that nutritious grains like corn produce positive outcomes in dogs. Pound for pound, nutritious grains deliver more complete nutrition than the ingredients that brands typically use to substitute for grains, like potatoes.
When it comes to the nutrients dogs need, grains deliver. They provide antioxidants, energy-rich carbohydrate and fiber to promote digestion.
Grains are team players. Our long-term research has shown that grains like corn are key for helping dogs digest other nutrients in their foods.
So why have grains and corn become the object of debate when it comes to giving dogs the best nutrition possible?
Well, we think it's due to a couple of myths.
Many people believe dogs are carnivores. In fact, dogs are omnivores.
Even wolves in the wild derive nutrition from both plant and animal sources.
Many people believe that dogs are allergic to grain. Here's the truth. Less than 1% of dogs are allergic.
We make products formulated without grain for the less than 1% of dogs who may have sensitivity to grain. For the other 99%, we believe the responsible thing to do is provide them with the best formulations for their needs, which include grains.
A closer look at one of the grains we believe in.
Corn provides protein, energy, and linoleic acid, which is an essential fatty acid for dogs.
Ounce for ounce, corn has twice the level of antioxidants as an apple.